Sunday, February 10, 2008

Too Much Stuff.






Taking one picture of all of my possessions would be pretty complicated. My house it’s self needed a picture of its own. Although I could have put some of my stuff out in front of it, putting the contents of my room in my front yard would have taken too much time. Even putting everything in my room on display would not show everything I own.
I just recently moved into my sister’s old room when she moved out. Since no one was moving into my old room, I left some of my stuff in my old room too. I also have things that I keep on each floor of my house in random places. To gather all of my stuff would take a long time.
I knew from the start of this lab that I had more stuff then the people in the pictures and that I have too much stuff in general. But after I began taking pictures of my stuff and comparing them to the pictures on this web site(
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/worldbalance/material.html ) I began to feel even more guilty. I knew I had more stuff then most people in the world but I guess I just get so used to comparing what I have to all the privileged people I interact with that I forget how the average person in the world lives.

4 comments:

Kirsti, Hannah, and Carrie said...

wow, this is really eye-opening. i'm embarrassed to say, i don't think i could even fit all of my stuff in one picture! it makes me appreciate my life a lot more.

**kirsti**

Jim Halpert Appreciation Society said...

This lab makes me really appreciate how much I have in life and realize that I would probably need at least 5 pictures to fit all of my possesions in. It makes me see that I don't really need all the things I have and that I should probably donate more of my unused things.
I also remember when we talked in class about how the people in more middle level countries and with not as many possesions are more likely to be happy. It reminds me how those families may not have a ton of things to their name however they have each other and probably many of them live happier lives than people in America with more money and more possesions.
-shelly

Kirsti, Hannah, and Carrie said...

This lab really made me think about how much stuff we all really have. It's a little scary. I'm not even sure if I could fit all of my stuff from my dorm room into a picture. Now thats just said. But this lab really made me apperciate just how blessed we really are, and maybe we could do more for those who don't have any.
~Carrie~

Colin, Christian, Zoë, and Orin said...

Really an interesting study of how one's environment and limited interactions can completely override a true understanding of the realities of our world, especially considering that the lab involves "stuff", which many of our impressions of people are based off of, and most of the world's social classes are determined by (a garbled run-on sentence, I know). "Stuff", being such a generalization, really symbolizes and encompasses mankind's exterior nature, while it does not positively contribute to our inner well being, as exemplified by happiness statistics in poorer nations. Great lab.

-Colin